Cosmo Music – The Musical Instrument Superstore!
A long history.
Established in 1968, over 45 years in the music business
You're with family.
Founded by Tom Hebert, family owned and operated
The single largest musical instrument store in North America.
56,000 sq ft store opened in May 2008
We know our stuff.
Over 200 employees including 23 repair technicians and 80+ highly qualified teachers
Home of the Cosmopolitan Music Hall venue
10 Via Renzo Drive, Richmond Hill Ontario L4S 0B6, Canada
Just ask, we're sure we can help!
No other place in Canada provides such a large variety of services all under one roof.
buy it here.
- Specializing in all instruments including guitars, band & orchestral strings, pro audio, home recording studios, keyboards & software, drums & percussion, acoustic & digital pianos as well as print music & vinyl LPs
repair it here.
- Largest group of technicians in Canada
- Servicing electronics including keyboards, amplifiers, lighting and sound equipment
- Maintaining and repairing guitars and band instruments such as clarinets, trumpets, saxophones and more!
rent it here.
- Professional sound, lighting & backline fleet available for small gatherings to large productions
- Band rental fleet of over 12,000 instruments - going to schools all over Ontario
- Monthly rental and rental-to-purchase pianos
learn it here.
- Most prestigious music school in the Greater Toronto Area
- 38 modern music studios for both private and group lessons
- Year long programs as well as seasonal camps are available to students looking to improve and widen their musical experience
solve it here.
- Production services for events, consultations and operations
- GearHeadz offers on-site, in-depth consultation for all of your music gear
host it here.
- The Cosmopolitan Music Hall holds up to 240 people in an intimate setting
Cosmo Music History
Cosmo Guitars, a small business started by Tom Hebert, began in 1966 importing guitars from Italy and Japan. Tom was fresh out of the Air Force and itching to pursue a business venture in the area he was most interested in…music. Tom had been involved in bands while in the Air Force and his passion was the guitar.
Although importing guitars was promising, in 1968 Tom realized the added potential of his Sheppard Ave location in Downsview and opened the first Cosmo Music. Selling mostly the guitars and accessories he was importing, the store grew.
In 1970 it was obvious that retail was what Tom enjoyed. He stopped importing guitars and continued full steam ahead opening up a small music school and broadening the scope of musical instruments sold in his Downsview store. This is where the story of Cosmo Music as we see it today began. In 1971 Cosmo Music moved to Richmond Hill and took over the local Mundinger Music location. Richmond Hill was a much smaller town but with the bigger store and Yonge Street locale Tom was thinking into the future. The new store already had a large lesson studio (65% accordion students!) and big potential for future growth.
Cosmo Music began offering brass and woodwind instruments, rentals and repairs in 1975. The need for a band department became apparent with the population explosion and the lack of service oriented school band program providers. The brass and woodwind department quickly became an area of expertise for Cosmo Music as the rental fleet grew exponentially.
In 1985 Cosmo Music moved again to an even bigger location just a few blocks south on Yonge Street. Taking over a department store and building one of the largest music stores in Canada gave Cosmo customers an increased instrument selection and even more value than before. It also gave way to the construction of The Cosmo School of Music, the largest and most prestigious music school in the area.
Cosmo Music’s Brass and Woodwind department was growing so fast, the decision was made to relocate the department into its own location. The Cosmo Music Brass and Woodwind Centre opened in 1990 and became Ontario’s leading provider of brass and woodwind instruments and accessories. The new building also housed Cosmo Music’s Brass and Woodwind repair facilities, one of the largest in the country, and Cosmo’s ever growing rental fleet (now well over 11,000 instruments).
The dream of the entire Cosmo Team has always been to create the world’s most exciting and interactive music making environment. In the spring of 2008 this dream became a reality when Cosmo Music amalgamated both of its locations into one giant store. Cosmo Music – The Musical Instrument Superstore opened its doors on May 22, 2008 and has been declared by many to be one of biggest and best musical instrument retail stores in the world; providing sales, service, rentals and lessons for all types of musical instruments in a one-of-a-kind, world class facility.